Friday, December 2, 2011

Service

I had an interesting experience while I was at work last week.  As some of you may know, I work at a grocery story part time while attending Brigham Young University Idaho.  As I was helping a customer with their groceries, we engaged in small talk, and the topic of the holidays came up.  He told me that he was only home for a short time, that he was in the army, and that he would be returning to Iraq in the near future.  I have a great amount of respect for those that serve our country, which caused me to try and think of something meaningful to say to him.  I proceeded to thank him for his service, and he simply replied, "no problem."  I was caught off guard at his response.  What he was doing for me, you, and everyone else in this country was something significant.  It struck me that his response was so simple.  It caused me to think about the great sacrifices that are made in our behalf.  Do we realize what others are doing for us?  Are we grateful for their efforts?  

No comments:

Post a Comment